BASIS aimed at improving Israel education in Jewish day schools. As outcomes, it sought measurable improvements in student learning, in knowledge and skills of teachers, in the Israel education curricula and educational programs of the schools, and in the educational infrastructure of the central agency for Jewish education.
BASIS involved activity within each participating school and community-wide efforts:
At the School Level, BASIS involved these components and activities:
- An Israel Education Coordinator: a part-time faculty position to lead and coordinate Israel educational activities;
- A Leadership Team, preferably comprising faculty, administration, and lay members (Board and/or parents) to develop Israel educational vision for the school;
- Israel Curriculum Team: to develop, in collaboration with consultants provided by BASIS, Israel education curriculum for the school;
- Professional development activities for faculty: these may include in-service workshops or consultations and/or community-wide seminars and/or professional development opportunities in Israel. Areas of focus include:
- Sustainable Funding: School leaders must account for additional expenses of Israel educational activities (including Israel travel) and dedicated Israel coordinator position.
- Israel content knowledge
- Curriculum development
- Israel Education Strategies: Educational activities beyond the classroom, including:
- Israel Encounters and Travel
- School-Twinning programs;
- Arts and Culture programs.
At the Communal Level, the Central Agency provided these services:
- A network or Community of Practice comprising Israel education coordinators from each of the schools;
- A week-long seminar in Israel that effectively launched the initiative. Educators, administrators, and lay leaders from the schools participated along with Israel education experts and leaders from Jewish LearningWorks;
- Professional development program for educators, with a series of forums, seminars, and workshops to build educator knowledge and skills in subject matter and pedagogy;
- Israel education consulting providing assistance in these areas: