Back to All Events

From Generation To Generation: le-dor va-dor; three generations of Jewish women artists

  • Jewish Community Library 1835 Ellis Street San Francisco, CA, 94115 (map)

Opening reception: Thursday, April 12

Ongoing exhibition: April 12–July 10, 2018

Barbara Stanger art.jpg

Free admission with free garage parking on Pierce Street between Ellis and Eddy streets.

A family legacy of thriving artistic life was established by matriarch Tobeleah Wechsler z"l, descendant of an illustrious rabbinic family, who co-founded the Cheltenham Art Center in Pennsylvania. Her daughter, Barbara Stanger, and granddaughter, Susan Stanger, who were exposed to artists and art at an early age, inherited her love for art and craft. All three Jewish women artists exemplify a lifelong dedication to growing and developing their own individual styles and skills. Their work comes together for the first time in this exhibit. 

Le-dor va-dor includes contemporary Jewish ceremonial objects, paintings, drawings, and sculpture by Barbara and Susan Stanger and Tobeleah Wechsler.

Barbara Stanger is an artist, jeweler, and art teacher whose work has been included in numerous museum exhibitions and has been circulated nationally by the Smithsonian Institution and the American Federation of the Arts. Her ceremonial pieces are also found in noted private collections, including that of Leah and Yitzchak Rabin.

Susan Stanger began her career as a designer and illustrator in Hawaii. Since coming to the Bay Area in 1998, she has maintained a practice of sketching wherever she goes in San Francisco and on her travels. As a freelance graphic artist she designed books and publications for Congregations Beth Sholom and Keneset HaLev in San Francisco.

Tobeleah Wechsler came from a traditional Jewish family; the only Jews in their small Pennsylvania town, they traced their heritage to the Kovno rabbis, one of the most renowned dynasties of Lithuanian Jewry. Dedicated to her family and her art, she co-founded the Cheltenham Art Center in 1940 with the goal of building a supportive local arts community.

Opening reception made possible, in part, by David Zebker.