BASIS was initiated with one funding source:  the Jim Joseph Foundation.  The Foundation provided the financial resources for the four year initiative.  The Foundation’s investment leveraged additional funding for Israel education within the school communities themselves.

The cost of the actual initiative over four years was: $6,539,275. These funds supported Israel education activities on 12 campuses as well as various centralized services provided by the community central agency for Jewish education.

About 80% of the funding supported direct educational work – either in the schools or from the central agency.  The remaining 20% covered management, administration, grant administration & reporting, and marketing.

Support for work within the 11 schools (12 campuses) averaged about $1 million per year (the total for four years was $4,154,250).  It was directed as follows:

  • 72% - Grants for Israel education activities consistent with the school’s articulated vision for Israel education excellence and with the stated aims of the overall initiative;
  • 21% - Salaries for Israel education coordinators in the schools (8-12 hours per week);
  • 6% - Consultants who worked with each school to help them realize their vision for Israel education;
  • 1% - Stipends to support educators who participated in the central agency’s professional development programs.

The remaining $2,385,025 supported the “communal scaffolding,” the central agency’s efforts to lead and manage the initiative and support the schools.  Those funds were spent as follows:

  • Professional Development programs;
  • Educational specialists & consultants;
  • Communal Israel educational cultural events;
  • BASIS management, grant administration, reporting, marketing and operating overhead.