Artist Rachel Leibman has been creating her collages - colorful, vivid works with a delicate juxtaposition of text, image and line - for 18 years. But this year she's breaking new ground at the Jewish Community Library with her show "Diaspora." Though her collages and mixed media art have been shown in Jewish spaces before, ...
For those in the Bay Area, all of the following books are available to borrow free of charge from the Jewish Community Library.
Classic Mussar texts translated from Hebrew
- The Path of the Just (Mesilat Yesharim), by Rabbi Moshe Chaim Luzzatto. Feldheim, 2004.
- Cheshbon ha-Nefesh, by Rabbi Menachem Mendel of Satanov. Feldheim, 1996.
- Shaare Teshuvah (The Gates of Repentance), by Rabbeinu Yonah of Gerona. Feldheim, 1981.
- The Ways of the Righteous (Orhot Tsadikim). Feldheim, 1995.
- Duties of the Heart (Hovot ha-Levavot), by Bachya ben Joseph ibn Paquda. Feldheim, 1996.
History and Writings of the 19th-century Mussar Movement
- Rabbi Israel Salanter and the Musar Movement, by Immanuel Etkes. Jewish Publication Society, 1993
- The Fire Within: The Living Heritage of the Musar Movement, Hillel Goldberg
- Sparks of Musar: A treasury of the words and deeds of the Musar greats, by Chaim Ephraim Zaichyk
- Rabbi Israel Salanter: Religious-Ethical Thinker, by Menahem G. Glenn. Bloch, 1953
- The History of the Musar Movement: 1840-1945, by Lester Samuel Eckman. Shengold, 1975.
- Ohr Yisrael: The Classic Writings of Rav Yisrael Salanter and His Disciple Rav Yitzchak Blazer. Targum Press, 2004.
Contemporary Mussar Teachings
- Mussar Yoga: Blending an Ancient Jewish Spiritual Practice with Yoga to Transform Body and Soul, by Edith Brotman. Turner, 2014
- The Spiritual Practice of Good Actions: Finding Balance Through the Soul Traits of Mussar, by Greg Marcus. Llewellyn, 2016 (forthcoming).
- Living Mussar Every Day, by Rabbi Zvi Miller. Targum Press, 2007.
- Climbing Jacob's Ladder: One Man's Rediscovery of a Jewish Spiritual Tradition, by Alan Morinis. Broadway Books, 2002.
- Everyday Holiness: The Jewish Spiritual Path of Musar, by Alan Morinis. Trumpeter Books, 2007.
- Every Day, Holy Day: 365 Days of Teachings and Practices from the Jewish Tradition of Musar, by Alan Morinis. Trumpeter Books, 2010.
- With Heart in Mind: Mussar Teachings to Transform Your Life, by Alan Morinis. Shambhala, 2014.
- A Responsible Life: The Spiritual Path of Musar, by Ira F. Stone. Aviv Press, 2006.
- The Book of Jewish Values, by Joseph Telushkin, Bell Tower, 2000.